Mind Blowing Rainbow

Mind Blowing Rainbow

Monday, April 26, 2010

Reading Rainbow

"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." ~ Mason Cooley

Every day my Methods of Teaching Reading in Content Area teacher puts up a quote on the board before class. Often these are feel good quotes, and I wish I had copied them down more so I would have them (may need to ask her, see if she has a list). Today's quote was the one above, and it really got me thinking though. I'm sure many of us know the power that reading has and the places that it can take us, but I know personally that I have not been on such a journey in some time. For a variety of reasons my recreational reading over the past few years has seen a decline, to the point where now I tend to read short informational bits like Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. They satisfy the part of me that craves knowledge and likes knowing little random facts, but I feel the need for something more substantial. I remember the days when I read voraciously and without real regards to what it was; as long as it interested me it got a chance to go into my brain. Fiction, nonfiction, humor, drama, satire, poem. I have been longing for the time and drive to dive into a good long book recently, and seeing this quote made me that much more eager for summer to arrive. While I expect to be fairly busy, I should be able to make for headway into the growing number of books I own and haven't read. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment